- Can I use Google Apps for all my classroom and student data?
- How is my WCPSS Google Apps account different from my personal Google Apps account?
- How do I sign into my WCPSS Google Apps account?
- Do I have to use Google Apps?
- Do I need to be on a WCPSS networked computer to access Google Apps?
- What browsers are supported by Google Apps?
- Is Gmail included in my WCPSS Google Apps account?
- Why is it asking me to install Google Apps Device Policy on my personal Android device?
1. Can I use Google Apps for all my classroom and student data?
No. Google Apps is not authorized to store a gradebook, discipline data, PEP, IEP, or other types of student information. The WCPSS Google Apps domain was not configured to be secure as that would limit teachers and students ability to share certain items publically. Google was launched as a classroom application. Google Apps can process or store, Public, Internal Use Only, and Classwork. Classwork includes items typically printed or electronically distributed to students and handed back in to the teacher.
2. How is my WCPSS Google Apps account different from my personal Google Apps account?
Since WCPSS Google Apps is managed by the district, we are able to manage the content that is delivered to our customers. That means that once a service or application is approved for use by WCPSS, it will automatically be made available to our customers. If you log into Google Apps with a Non-WCPSS email address, you will not have access to all of the approved services and applications that are available to WCPSS customers. While using your WCPSS Google Apps account, you will:
- NOT have access to your personal files, resources, services and applications that you created/accessed while using your personal Google Apps account.
- Need to contact the WCPSS Help Desk if you have forgotten your password.
NOTE: You cannot use the password recovery tool in Google directly since this is an organizational Google Apps account, not a personal Google Apps account.
3. How do I sign in to my WCPSS Google Apps account?
- In any web browser, go to http://www.google.com/a/wcpss.net/ .
- Log in with your WCPSS Google Apps username, i.e. email@example.com, and password.
4. Do I have to use Google Apps?
No, you do not have to use Google Apps unless someone you know wants to share a Google Apps document, form, calendar, etc. with you.
5. Do I need to be on a WCPSS networked computer to access Google Apps?
No. You can go to the WCPSS Google Apps URL http://www.google.com/a/wcpss.net/ or http://www.google.com and sign in with your WCPSS Google Apps username and password.
6. What browsers are supported by Google Apps?
Chrome is Google's preferred browser. Chrome, Firefox and IE8 are approved for use in WCPSS. IE8 is not supported by Google for use with Google Apps.
7. Is G-mail included in my WCPSS Google Apps account?
No. G-mail in not included in WCPSS Google Apps accounts.
8. Why is it asking me to install Google Apps Device Policy on my personal Android device?
To ensure staff and student data is secure, it is required that Google Apps Device Policy for Android be installed when accessing WCPSS content on personal Android devices.
View this document for more information and step by step instructions.